The end of a chapter

I have made a major decision.

I have decided that on this anniversary of the March 08 General Election, I will quit Parti Gerakan. Not so much because of the party itself, which has a good ideology and many good members and many good friends, but more because of the dominance of UMNO over everything else within the coalition.

I am sick of race based politics and Gerakan is actually getting further and further away from realising its ideology of building a fair and equitable society.

My decision to quit is nothing personal and not against anyone in the party. Even though I am quitting , I am still hoping against hope that the party can eventually realise its ideology of a fair and equal society, but given the political reality, it will not be possible in any foreseeable future.

I have drafted the statements below in both English and Chinese to expalin the reason of this.

Press Statement by Dr Hsu Dar Ren (08-03-2011)

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing my resignation from all my positions in Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia, including that of Central Committee member, FT state liaison committee member, division chairman, branch chairman and ordinary membership.

Parti Gerakan is a party with good ideology to establish a fair and equitable society in Malaysia . It too has many conscientious members who subscribe to this ideology.



Unfortunately, within the framework of BN, where the hegemonic race politics of UMNO predominates, it is impossible for Gerakan to realize this ideal.

In fact, as a result of more than 5 decades of race based politics, the country has drifted so much apart that racial polarization has never been as bad as now . Despite the many decades of trying to work from within, Gerakan is now further and further away from realising its ideals.

Three years after the 308 General election, I sense that apart from rhetoric, there is little change in policies gearing towards uniting the people and providing a fairer and more equal footing for all. I feel that it is now futile for me to try to fight within the system anymore.

I have no intention of joining any other political parties, but I will continue to voice out through writing and blogging on the importance of building a fair and equitable society.

http://hsudarren.wordpress.com/

No comments

Powered by Blogger.