Zaid may be made full-blown Law Minister

By SHAILA KOSHY


KUALA LUMPUR: De facto law minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim may soon become a full-blown Law Minister with all the requisite authority and responsibility to help him effect legal reform.

“When we talk about reform, people think about the Judicial Appointments Commission only, but it is more than that -- there is a whole gamut of things that needs to be done as well.

“It is for this reason I have informed the Prime Minister, and Cabinet has agreed that there are reforms we need to take.

“In fact, my own position will be reviewed to Minister of Law to give me more authority but that will take time. You can’t have responsibility without authority,” he said Tuesday during a press conference after he officiated at Suhakam’s Human Rights Day public forum themed “Human Rights and Administration of Juvenile Justice” at a hotel here.

“When you want to effect change you need to coordinate and re-organise. For example, if you want magistrates to be re-trained today I can’t do much about it. I will have to go to the Judicial and Legal Commission.

“If I want to do anything involving children, I will have to talk to the Women and Family Development Minister.

“The difference between the past and now is that hopefully I will have more opportunity to bring change.”

Referring to a former President of the Court of Appeal who had referred to the minister with his portfolio in 2000 as being “in charge of table and chairs,” Zaid added:

“If I can’t do something I will say so. I hope with more refined authority, with an elevated position, a clearly defined portfolio and authority, perhaps I will help overcome some of the problems encountered.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.